Company History

For more than 4 generations, Roy Timms’ ancestors, the Timms and Law families, have provided design/build construction to their clients. Roy’s mother’s family started the road construction business in the very early 1900's, by 1910, Edsel Law and Benjamin Franklyn Law (Roy’s great-great grandfather) had founded Law Construction in Toronto.

Shortly after returning from the First World War, Percy Franklyn Law and Roy Emett Law (Roy Timms’ grandfather) owned and managed Law Construction. Under their leadership, the company grew to include a quarry at Windmill Point in Ridgeway and paving operations in the Maritimes. Between 1935 and 1937, the brothers split, with Percy Law maintaining Law Construction and Municipal Paving and Roy Law taking the Windmill Point Quarry. Percy Law grew Municipal Paving into a national road construction and paving company with offices from Vancouver to Halifax. Roy Law sold the Windmill Point Quarry and between 1935-1937 moved to Port Colborne and founded R.E. Law Crushed Stone in Wainfleet. Roy Law also operated R.E. Law Construction & Paving and Pavco. Roy Law and his son grew the paving business into a provincial organization which upon their deaths was sold to the Semley family of Port Colborne which became a part of Hardrock Paving. The Port Colborne Law’s also sold limestone internationally.

Joseph Harper Timms operated as J.H. Timms Builder in Dunstable & Bedfordshire England, commencing in about 1880. Starting in 1906, the four Timms brothers (sons of Joseph Harper Timms) immigrated to Welland, commencing with Harold Timms (1906), followed by Chris Timms (1910), Bert Timms and Reg Timms (1912), who was Roy Timms’ grandfather. Initially, the brothers built homes and industries within the City of Welland under Harold Timms Builder. After Harold Timms died in Europe during the First World War and as the time passed, they separated into two different construction companies. Bert Timms formed his own construction company that prospered for many years in the Niagara Peninsula. In 1921, Reg Timms formed R. Timms Builder, then R. Timms Construction, then R. Timms Construction and Engineering Limited Company in 1941, when his son Rex graduated from the School of Engineering at University of Toronto and returned to the family company after the Second World War. By this time, the R. Timms Construction and Engineering Limited had become a major building general contractor in the province of Ontario, completing many airports during the Second World War and were experienced in commercial, industrial and residential construction completing high schools, factories, retail stores and many homes throughout the Niagara Region and beyond. Subsequently, Les Timms joined the family business. Reg Timms was the founding president of the Ontario General Contractors Association.

In 1974, after graduating from the University of Waterloo, Roy and his brother formed Timbro. Today, the Timbro Group of Companies consists of Timbro Design Build Contractors and Timbro Refrigerated Structures Inc. The majority of Timbro’s work is in Southern Ontario, however, Timbro Refrigerated Structures does supply refrigerated structures and components from coast to coast and on occasion Europe and Asia.

This proud tradition of design and construction services remains a love today within the fourth generation utilizing the core beliefs of integrity, customer service, value engineering, quality management and safety. Timbro’s ability to offer a combination of design/build and project management, gives their customers the opportunity of fast-tracking projects while the design and construction costing is being developed and finalized. This approach creates a team effort that benefits Timbro’s clients. Timbro remains committed to its mission statement and principles of its previous generations.

Roy Timms, P.Eng., G.S.C. graduated from the University of Waterloo with an Honours Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Civil Engineering in 1974.

Roy TimmsRoy has been Gold Seal certified as a Construction Estimator and Project Manager by the Canadian Construction Association. Roy is a past President of a number of organizations including: the Welland Pelham Chamber of Commerce, Regional Niagara Chamber of Commerce, General Contractors of Niagara, the Ontario General Contractors Association, and a past member of the Ontario Building Code Commission. He has also served as President of the Welland Club, the Welland Jaycees, the Rotary Club of Welland, and as chairman of both the Planning Committee of the Welland County General Hospital and the Butler Advisory Council for Canada. Currently, Roy serves as director of the Welland Recreational Canal Corporation and the Welland Development Commission. He is Chair of the Canadian Design Build Institute and the Niagara Industrial Association. He is also a member of both the Niagara Regional Economic Development Advisory Panel and the Fort Erie Economic Development Corporation’s Developer’s Round Table.

Roy has been recognized by both the Ontario General Contractors Association and the Professional Engineers of Ontario (Niagara Chapter) for professional ethics, community and industry involvement.

PROJECT PROFILES

J. OSKAM STEEL FABRICATORS

J. Oskam Steel Fabricators Ltd. is a Timbro Industrial Warehouse Project.

WELLAND TOYOTA

Welland Toyota is a Timbro Commercial/Retail Building Project.

CHAPMAN'S ICE CREAM

Chapman's is a Timbro Food Plants and Refrigeration Project.